Sunday, February 21, 2010

Use My Stash Year : week 8 (and a tip!)

With my fun Birthday/Olympic sewing, I got two more auction quilts done. Hopefully it won't be so grey out tomorrow for some pictures.

My stash in this week includes several solids I got from the Fabric Shack. I thought - hey, they should put the color name on the edge - and finally realized I could do it myself!

I kept the handy little photo checkout sheet they give you for an online purchase. They are pretty color accurate.Then I matched up my pieces with the printout. Also having a couple different cut sizes helped, too! Then I used my water soluble pen to write the colors name on an edge. It seems like a pretty good plan.



Busted: 4.444
Purchased: 8.26
Net YTD: (23.108) so that's two weeks in a row of MORE stash....oooops!

Ticker Tape auction note - the auction was last night and a friend that went updated me. The quilt went for $400.

10 comments:

wishes, true and kind said...

What a great idea to just write the names of the colors on the selvage. I recently bought about 20 different colors of Kona cotton (primarily blues and greens), then when I was ready to work on the quilt, I didn't know which color was which, and had to go back to the store. I cut little pieces from the selvage of each cut and taped them on a piece of paper, matched them from the bolt, and wrote the name of the color down on the paper.

I think $400 is pretty good. You're right, it could have been much worse. With a few exceptions, I think that usually a handmade quilt does not go for nearly what it is worth, which can be very disappointing.

joan

Stephanie said...

$400 is not to shabby :)

I have a Kona cotton fold out card that I bought online, it's great because you can use it to match colors when buying and incase I forgot what one is called I can match it to the chart as well. I got it from Pink Chalk fabrics and highly recommend spending the money on one, I find it soooo helpful.

Jenny said...

so wish i would have thought to write on my Kona as well...thanks for the tip!!

Anonymous said...

Angela,
Congratulations your quilt most likely was the largest auction purchase, even though it was probably worth a lot more, maybe you can figure the amount of time you spent as your personal donation as well. Great idea to label your solid fabrics!!

Life of Joy said...

As usual, I wish I had the stash to have to be so organized with it. How much of a color do you buy? Do you buy more thinking backing?

Happy belated birthday by the way.

Crystal Hendrix said...

I think for our little auction, our quitls that are made sell for I think 200 each, so 500 is AWESOME! I think it looked wonderful!

Leslie said...

400!!! that is amazing. i am so glad for you. less than that would have been kind of sad. great idea for the stash.

Alyson said...

400 sounds good to me! Not sure if I could get that at my school's auction. Good call on labeling the fabric. I just had the same problem...wish I knew what color that was...

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

nice stash additions!! and good idea writing the name on the selvage... as for the auction.. $400 is great.. unfortunately non quilters don't know the value of our work... i had a piece go for $125 at a charity auction once and they thought it was great... later i cried.

Amanda Jean said...

what a GREAT amount of cash raised for your school!!!

love the color tracking idea, too. so smart of you.